Friday 3 September 2010

A touch of urban decay

I went to Bristol the other day. I'd never been before. A friend of mine took me up Gloucester Road, and said there were some good places to take photos of. In a departure from taking pictures of buildings, plants and terrible pictures of people, it was nice to do something a little different. Also trying to figure out the best way to take a picture of a flat surface and make it interesting was a little new for me. Also just spotting small things that could turn out well was a new challenge. So I begin with my favourite of the day:

Probably because I agree with the sentiment, but also its a pretty damn cool stencil.

My friend saw this in the first underpass we went under. While it looks like a pretty random tag, and I must confess I thought it was when I saw it, I like the little message.

Graffiti gets a bad rap. Some of it justified, some, not so much. The building this was on was abandoned, and it's pretty simple and plain. But it stands out well. What always gets me is the testicular fortitude to actually get up to places and start painting. For all the (supposed) ills of graffiti, you have to admire the audacity.

I have no real explanation for the above image. I just kind of like it. It's a guy in a gas mask riding a giant mosquito (that is also wearing a gas mask). Ho hum.

This has been edited slightly. It wasn't straight so I turned the image a little, and cropped it. I was going to put it up as it was, but it really bothered me. I still can't take straight photos. Anyway.

Yeah, so you can kind of tell I went a bit wild with the fish-eye.

More soon...

No comments: