Thursday 15 July 2010

A Bicycle And Bit More (Or The Other Way Around)

I spent some time in Shanghai, China a few months ago. It's actually where I picked up my OM-1. I spent a day out in the markets, and taking in the first sunny day of my time there. These were all taken with a digital camera.


Believe it or not, this is a boulevard in Shanghai. It's in the old French Concession.


China is pretty famous for it's bicycles. This row of scooters and bikes is pretty common all over the place.

I saw this guy sitting on the step of this shop just minding his own business. Asia has an abundance of 'plastic bucket shops'. They are like mini DIY stores. There always stacks of buckets. These ones are full of something I think.



Shanghai has changed a lot over the years. I haven't had the privilege of witnessing it first hand, but it is evident in parts of the city that have yet to give way to high rises. This is down an alley of a market. It's a much more bourgeois market than those of 10 odd years ago. You can sit down and get an Italian coffee here and there. But the buildings give the whole thing a bit of character. Modernity is ever present.

I was lucky (an ongoing theme) to get this shot. I was actually sitting in a taxi and happened to have a camera in my hands. I can't explain why I like this photo. But I just think of China when I see it. Though it could be anywhere, I suppose

No comments: